Pastificio F.lli Iozzino
Pastificio F.lli Iozzino in the mapMarker

Pastificio F.lli Iozzino

Gragnano, Campania

At the end of 1600 the Monastery of San Nicola dei Miri commissioned the construction of a mill along the Vernotico stream (today "Valle dei Mulini"), which was later named "Molino delle monache", hence "Molino Lo Monaco". On July 3, 1703 the mill "Lo Monaco" is leased and then sold to the entrepreneur Giambattista Di Nola, future father-in-law of Marcantonio Iozzino. On September 2, 1797 the mill was inherited by Serafina Di Nola and her husband Marcantonio Iozzino who, together with their four sons Ferdinando, Luigi, Carlo and Antonio, started the production of pasta. On April 7, 1840 Tommaso Iozzino, son of Ferdinando Iozzino, buys back for 400 ducats the shares of the mill "Lo Monaco" previously sold by his uncles, becoming its owner together with his father Ferdinando and his uncle Carlo. In 1846 Tommaso Iozzino started his own factory for the production of artisanal dry pasta in Via San Marco, in what was the "via della pasta" (today Via Roma). On July 1, 1851 Tommaso Iozzino inherits the shares of the mill "Lo Monaco" from his father Ferdinando and from his uncle Carlo becoming the sole owner, he then sells it for 5900 ducats, however he continues to produce pasta in Via San Marco together with his son Ferdinando. On July 18, 1907 Tommaso Iozzino started an entrepreneurial activity in the sector of dried fruit in Piazza Paride Del Pozzo, an activity then continued by his nephew Tommaso Zenone Iozzino, son of his brother Emilio. In about 1920 Ferdinando Iozzino formed a company with two other entrepreneurs from Gragnano transferring the historic pasta factory from Via San Marco to Via Santa Caterina, the company was called "Pastificio La Gragnanese" and remained in business for about ten years. On June 7, 2018, brothers Tommaso and Domenico Iozzino, entrepreneurs in the dried fruit industry for four generations, resumed the activity of producing artisanal dried pasta started about two centuries earlier by their family. "The specialties of the house were: Mezzani, Vermicelli, Zita, Occhi di Elefante, Maccaroncelli, Lingue di Passero, Fusilli fatta a mano etc. In the hallway of the pasta factory there was a colorfully painted drawing of a flag with a dove. Every Saturday in front of the pasta factory there was a vestal who fed the flame under a boiler where they boiled spaghetti. A maccaronaro, as soon as they were cooked, would offer those steaming macaroni on plates with a handful of local cheese on top to the throng of foreigners who came to Gragnano to buy pasta."

Long pasta
Long pasta
Short pasta
Short pasta